AVFD First Responders Reunite with a Survivor
Monday, March 14, 2016
In the Fall of 2015, AVFD responded to an electrocution on Shrub Oak near Beckett Ridge. A resident had been trimming a large tree that had grown under a power line. The man did not realize the power line had energized the tree and began cutting. The man was electrocuted and sustained 3rd degree burns to his hands, chest, and feet. AVFD responded and the man was Life Flighted in critical condition to Memorial Hermann Hospital in the Texas Medical Center.
After spending 4 months in the hospital and having 19 surgeries, Roy Jordan, reached out to AVFD and asked to meet his rescuers. On Monday, 3/14/16, Mr. Jordan and his family brought a pizza lunch to Atascocita Fire Station #2 and met his rescuers and shared stories. It was truely an emotional Thanksgiving for all.
High voltage electrocutions are rare and survival rate is very low. Center Point Energy advises to stay away from power lines. If you have trees or vegitation growing near or under power lines contact Center Point Energy or your local energy company and they will remove or trim the trees away from the power lines.
Story by: S. Conley
Photo GalleryView Gallery
Live Run Log